Thursday, April 8, 2010

A bit of a change!

So we have had lots of changes in our life as everyone does. I have been debating if I want to do this post. But maybe I'm hoping it will help to just type it out and leave it there. So for those of you who like to read, hope it all makes since and to those who don't, scroll down there are some cute pictures to see :)
Back to the changes. As many know we had taken Leslie into our house and have been trying to help her see, feel and know what it's like to have the Savior be a part of your life. To feel loved without condition, to know safety, security, laughter and that anyone (if they want it) can change and become who they want to be! I have had some long nights, some great talks, some very sad talks, some humbling moments, some frustrating moments, some long prayers and tears. But again this is the life of change and I know we have all been in these moments. Well Leslie has decided to move back home with her mom. It was hard to see her go. But as we have all heard or said, ' You can't change someone unless they want to change and that change has to come from within them.' Well that change wasn't coming. Leslie has done so much, she has come so far and she has relied on us to keep her going. Which is great. But it hits a time that a person has to 'do' for themselves. They have to put forth effort. No matter how strong the person is that you are leaning on, there is a time when you have to take that first step. So after a family counsel Leslie requested to move back home with her mom.
Amazingly enough I felt peaceful. I thought I'd feel heartbroken that she had come to a point that she didn't want to try. That I had lost the fight for her. But then I realized I had done and accomplished everything that I planned out. I knew from the beginning Cory nor I, could ever change her and I never wanted to. I wanted to show her a family that loves each other even in tough times, a secure home, stable environment, my testimony that without the Savior the peace and happiness that she seeks will never be. These are what I knew I could show her. I know she felt the spirit here. I know she saw these things and I know from conversations that she knows we love her so much even though she is no longer living here. We as an eternal family showed her that she can have this too but she must choose this for herself. No one can do that part.
So it's been a long six months and in all honesty I am exhausted. I can't imagine how the Savior feels when we have strayed, when we have closed our eyes and walked blindly on a path that we don't care to see or feel. My heart has been opened. I guess through this all it comes down to the fact that someone has to fight for these wondering children. I never knew I had to the strength to do what I have done. And yet I know it's not over. I just pray I can get a breath in every once in awhile! But then I look at the pictures of my hubby, of my son, of my family, I know that's a breath that I'll have forever, feeding me the strength I need to do what is asked of me!
Once a part of my heart and my family always a part of my heart and family. Well never give up on Leslie and I know speaking from my heart and Cory's well love that girl forever.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

I'm sorry Kristen, that must be hard. I'm sure that she felt your love and learned a lot. I hope everything works out

Ashley said...

You guys are wonderful people, and did your best to show the love of our Savior to her. She will have that impression on her forever, and you have been blessed from her as well. Love you guys to pieces.

Megan B ♥ said...

You've done great work and she'll remember your sacrifice and example. And she'll remember how she felt in your home. You made a difference.

tsmortensen said...

You have an amazing family, and I am sure you made a huge difference. We don't always get to harvest the seeds we plant, but I am sure your love will continue to make a difference. Love you guys!

M said...

I know that you had a great impact on Leslie. She came so far, and I think that she will always be influenced by the good things she experienced while with your family.

The more I think about it (and especially after listening to your beautiful talk on Sunday), I feel like the Lord prepared you to take Leslie under your wing. There definitely is a purpose and divine hand that is guiding Leslie's life.