Red Flag #2... We finally make it to the trail head and go to cross the bridge and whatcha know it's washed out. Yup, our flooding this spring did some great work on this bridge and trail. So our pride.... Darn it I mean determination, pushed us to keep going and that meant we had to cross the river Indian style...dum, dum, dum BARE FEET. I crack up at this pictures. Check out Degen he's pulling away from the water like it was death too. Don't they say you should listen to your animals. We obviously don't get that one. Yes, Mitchel was spitting over that bridge too.
The trusty river crossing. We took off our shoes and I took Ike & Sophie. Which Ike just swam like a fish and Sophie just floated while I drug her. Then Cory had Mitchel in the pack (bout 50lbs) and a 60lb back peddling, water denial dog to bring across, did I mention his bare feet are so tender he can't even walk on grass and he's crying... I think this was Red Flag #3.
We made it across, with some cursing and much laughter from me. I recorded Cory crossing and yes I will be posting it also. It took a good 20 minutes for some smoke to be smothered...oh wait it was already smothered from the river...ha ha. I know Cory's not going to find this funny, but it really was. And see he's smiling again so that's a good sign. 
You know Cory and Mitchel are happy when they are once again climbing trees. My cute boys. And if you notice Mitchel is wearing his HAT. I know amazing. He didn't even fight me. He learned it kept the sun out of his eyes and since then he likes it and I LOVE IT!
Hard work here... Everyone needs a break. Little smurf would run ahead of us, sit down and then proceed to say "Come on Mommy, daddy, hurry up".
Red Flad #4
You'd think we'd learned that there would be trail problems when we saw the washed out bridge. Well we are prideful... man I mean determined and set forward. From the flooding can you say ummm, "WASH OUTS or MUD SLIDES". This is only one picture of them. We hit probably 6 or 7 of them. The last one was so bad we couldn't find the trail on the other side and that ended the forward hike... But the scenery we saw was beautiful and amazing.
We made it to Otter Falls! It was fun and pretty. We crawled under the bridge to find some shade and had a great lunch. Ike swam, Degen got attacked by Mitchel, Cory climbed as high as he could on the falls, Sophie didn't leave my hills and I just loved watching everyone and dipping my feet in the water. It was beautiful.

Then Cory got an idea to just go a little more. We weren't watching the clock and though oh what the heck. Red Flag #5, when you legs are so tired they are shaking. You TURN your butt around and go HOME. But.... we went a little further, lost the trail and decided to turn around. When we were headed back we met a few guys on the trail that hike this all the time. They had nicely asked us how long we'd been out here and when we informed then just today, they said "You've done all of this just today, that's amazing!" Yes, my dear readers that was Red Flag #6! They then so nicely proceeded to tell us that by the time we return back to the car it will of been not a 7 mile hike, but a 14 mile hike. WHAT!? I'm fat, out of shape, covered in sweat, dreaming of an air conditioned car, and NO BUGS and we still have to hike back. OH BROTHER, even Mitchel said it. Can you say LIFE FLIGHT. So we headed back. Mitchel walked on and off the whole hike except probably the last 5 miles, Cory, tough as an ox, packed him the rest of the way and about a mile left this is how we all felt, but only Mitchel got to act on it...

4 comments:
Oh my heck! You guys are troopers! But it looks amazing. I always find that once the crying and cursing stop... you have another great family memory! FUN
Oh my goodness, I would have died! It does look beautiful though! I loved all the pictures, It looks like you had a lot of fun!
You guys are so crazy sometimes. I love it! Now we can all have a good laugh. :)
Oh my word, I'm sorry I"m laughing, but that's because I didn't have to do it! Good memories for later right?
Post a Comment